Sergey Dvortsevoy, director of ‘Tulpan’, is a real discovery in the world cinema, which is proven by numerous awards he won on prestigious film festivals during the last year. This simple and touching story about Kazakh shepherds’ life is his first feature film after several shorts and documentaries. During the workshop after the projection of ‘Tulpan’, Mr. Dvortsevoy introduced himself to the audience and the film students from all around the world.
– I was born in Kazakhstan and while I was working in Aeroflot, I used to fly over steppe quite often, constantly wondering how do that people’s life look like in such a cruel environment, where one, maybe two families and their flocks share immense spaces. I was interested in simple, common things – their life and their comprehension of happiness. That place is not an exotic destination for me, it’s my homeland – said Dvortsevoy.
While speaking about all the challenges and difficulties during the making of this film, Dvortsevoy said:
– Filming of ‘Tulpan’ lasted four years. It was hard to work and there was always something unpredictable. I have changed the original screenplay almost completely. When making such a film, you have to have a lot of patience and strength. We had luck because we were able to use the things that happen in real life.
After confession that making of documentaries has become too painful for him and that he constantly had to reconsider moral aspects of the film, Dvortsevoy added:
– Documentary film is neither reality nor truth. It’s just a particle of it all. While making documentaries, I realised that I hadn’t enough knowledge and skill to show that true.
He also said that ‘Tulpan’ looks realistic because only a few professional actors were in it, while all the other roles were given to the local common people. A family – which gives strong background to the whole story – looks realistic because the professional actors who play parents went there one month before the shooting and lived in a hut with three children from similar local family.
– Director always has to manipulate with the truth, events and staff, which was all very hard during the making of this film. I do not know how to attain the control of the nature, animals and events.
– Film will be shown in more than 40 countries which is more than enough for an artistic film – added Mr. Dvortsevoy at the end of the workshop.